Historical Sketch

Historical Sketch:

1943
July 11: Copeland Park Baptist Church was organized and dedicated with the Reverend Joseph B. Flowers as Pastor

1944
May 7: Held first services in the church building still under construction

1945
Purchased the Spady property and cottage which was used as the first parsonage

1946
The mural for the baptistry was painted by Grover Chapman and was unveiled on April 14th

The First Men’s softball team organized with Jack Littlejohn as manager

1947
See Valentines Party 1947
Paul Logan Jr was the first member to be licensed to preach from WHBC

1948
Bobby & Jackie Ray were the first couple married in the church building. See Wedding Picture.
Bobby and Seth Nelson built the steps so they could walk up to the pulpit. Seth Nelson built the first pulpit stand.
July, Held the First Homecoming

1949
September, Held the First fall Round-Up with Brunswick stew

1952
October, Bobby Estes was licensed to preach
The First Brotherhood was organized with Seth G. Nelson Sr as president

1953
January, Church services were broadcast over the radio for the first time
September 18, The 8:30am Worship Services was started
December, Lucille Welch became the First Minister of Education

1955
Rev. J.D Seward became the First Associate Pastor.

1956
May 27, Opening and decication of the church library

1957
Sunday School awarded “Standard of Excellence”

1958
October, Kenneth Smith was licensed to preach

1959
February, Bobby Wainwrith and Kenneth Smith were approved as ministerial students
July 12, The name “Copeland Park Baptist Church” was changed to “West Hampton Baptist Church”

1961
March 5, The Adult Sunday School building was dedicated and named “The Flowers Building”
May, Carolyn Sandidge came as organist
October, Rev. J.D. Seward accepted a call to Elizabeth River Baptist Church.

1962
Wednesday Night Family Supper was started

1963
May, Joseph Flowers Jr. was approved as a ministerial student
October 10, Kenneth Smith and Bobby Wainwright were ordained.

1965
Bobby Estes entered full time evangelistic work.

1969
Air conditioning was installed in all the buildings

1971
January, The Youth building was completed and ready for use

1972
May, The Wainwright property was purchased for $55,000
An outreach program for the Virginia School for the Deaf & Blind was started

1973
May, The Golden Age Club was started
July, The 30th Anniversary of WHBC was observed

1974
The “Deacon Family Life” program was started
The Adult Deaf Sunday School class was started
Children’s Church was started

1975
The “Puppeteers” program was started
The “Literacy” program was started

1976
May, Rev. J.B.Flowers received his Doctorate in Ministry degree
June, Larry W. Smith came as Minister of Music

1977
Captain Charles Filkins began taping the church services
The “Homebound Ministry” was started by Colonel Howard K. Biles as Sunday School director and Jack Caldie

1978
September 3, The “Guardian Angels” program was started
September 10, Dr. Joseph B. Flowers retired as the churches first and only pastor
Setember – January7, 1979 Dr. James Jarrad served as Interim Pastor

1979
January 8, Dr. William C. Russ called as churches’ second pastor
Ernie Myers was ordained
March 1, Dr. James Jarrad resigned to become pastor of Union Grove Baptist church, Kernersville, NC
October, Jon Beard called as Minister of Youth and Education
December 30, Proclaimed as “Miss Eva Sanders Day”

1980
May, Jon Beard and Mark Snyder were ordained
“Together We Build” program was started for the new sanctuary
The First widows and widowers banquet was held by the deacons

1981
January, The Senior Adult Choir was started
September, Reggie Daniels was approved as a ministerial student
June, Jon Beard resigned to become Pastor of Battery Park Baptist Church
October, Sammy Flores called as Minister of Youth

1983
July, “Ground Breaking” ceremony for the new sanctuary.

1984
August, Sammy Flores resigned to attend Southwestern Theological Seminary
September, Dedication Service-Laying of the Cornerstone for the new sanctuary
October, Rev. Timothy Ameen called as Minister of Youth

1986
Satellite Ministry was started by Thelma Tignor

1988
The “Hanging of the Green” vespers service was started by Larry Smith. Dean Church and Skinner&Elaine Jones coordinated the decoration of the sanctuary
The deaf began meeting for worship separately once a month led by Rev. Eugene Hughes

1989
Rev. Wayne Collis called as Minister of Education
Rev. Winston Shearin called as Minister of Youth
Rev. Eugene Hughes called as Minister to the Deaf

1990
“Arise and Build” program started to build new Sunday School classes and office space
September 14, Dr. William C. Russ retired as the churches’ second pastor
September 11, Memorial service for Elizabeth Stevens Flowers
November, Rev. Jack Wilder called as Interim Preacher/Teacher

1991
November, Rev. Winston Searin resignes to accept a pastorate at Atlantic Baptist Church, Atlantic, VA

1992
August, Rev. Jack Wilder resigns as Interim Pastor due to scheduled revivals
September, Dr. Furman Kenney called as Interim Pastor
November, Rev. Barry W. Chinn called as churches third Senior Pastor
December, Reggie Daniels ordained

1993

1994

October 30th the Education Building was dedicated with a goal of 650 attendance which we surpassed by two for a total of 652 in attendance.

1995

1996

1997

1998
Rev. Eugene Hughes retired as Minister to the Deaf
Brad Hill called as Minister to the Deaf

1999
June, Brad Hill ordained

2000
March, The WHBC website was created and launched

2001

2002
September, Dr. Danny Owens called as the churches 5th Senior Pastor
September 22, Kevin Schrum ordained as a minister

2003
July 11th, 60th Anniversary
September, David Robinson called as Assoc. Pastor of Discipleship, Education

2004
January, John Crawley licensed to preach
June, Brian Adams called as Youth Minister
October, “Fall Festival” over 350 in attendance

2007
January, Worship services were added online to our website
December, Voted to have one worship service on Sunday mornings

2008
February 3rd, went to one worship service on Sunday mornings at 10:30am

2010
March, All digital recording of morning services added.
March, DVD recordings offered of special programs.

2012
April, Our 11:00 service is now a full contemporary service with Brian Adams in the pulpit

2014
June, Danny Owens announced his retirement at the end of the year
July, A pastor search committee was formed to seek our 6th pastor
December, Danny Owens retired as our senior pastor

2015
January, Brian Adams has been asked to fill the pulpit for the 8:30 service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *